Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Birth Story

On Tuesday, November 20th at 8:30pm we checked into the hospital for our Nov. 21 induction. Cervadil was placed at 9pm and I was told no eating or drinking till 11pm. I was already thirsty when I got to the hospital and didn’t know I wouldn’t be able to drink anything that night so those 2 hours seemed like forever. Then at 11pm I got the go ahead to eat or drink anything until midnight. I quickly chugged water and decided to get some sleep in case the Cervadil started labor.

I woke up at 2:30am and was having contractions. They weren’t consistent or very strong but strong enough to not let me fall back asleep. The nurse came in throughout the night to move the monitor on my stomach. Collins kept moving around so she kept losing her heart beat. When she came in at 5:30am she gave me the go ahead to take the cervadil out and be off the monitors for 30 min to shower before she came back to start the pitocin. At 6:05am she came back to start the pitocin. She said I was having contractions but we needed to get them stronger. I was still at 1cm at this point so the pitocin was started. At 8am the nurse and my doctor came in and I was still at 1cm so my doctor broke my water.  Contractions got stronger and stronger after she broke my water.

By 9:30am I was wanting something for the pain. I figured I was still only a 1-2 so I asked about the IV pain med (don’t remember what it’s called). The nurse said I could have it but since I was in active labor and they had already broke my water, if I was eventually going to get the epidural, I might as well do it then. Don’t have to tell me twice, order me that epidural!! She filled me up with fluids and 15 min later, the anaesthesiologist was in the room ready to do the epidural. Epidural went in with no problem and I was quickly feeling no pain. She checked me after the epidural was in and I was only a 2. I was pretty upset I was only at a 2 and had already gotten the epidural but she said not to get discouraged and I was progressing just fine.

The next 2 hours were spent with me laying on my left side because Collins wasn’t tolerating the contractions very well and her heart rate kept dropping. On top of that, my blood pressure kept dropping so I had to wear an oxygen mask. At this point I was scared all this was going to lead to a c section. I wasn’t dilating and Collins and I were both not reacting well with the pitocin. She came back around 11:45 and had gotten orders from my doctor to take me off the pitocin and see how I labored on my own and if this would help Collins heart rate. My mom and sisters left to go eat lunch at this point since we figured we were going to be there for the long haul after they stopped the pitocin. She came back around 12:30 and said I was having contractions great on my own and they weren’t going to start the pitocin again. She checked me and I was a 4-5cm. We called and told my mom and sisters and they quickly rushed back.

I still had to lay on my side and keep the oxygen mask on but I wasn’t feeling any of the contractions and was able to have an enjoyable time with Derek, my mom, dad, sisters and his parents who were all in the room. Around 2:30 we were wondering if they were ever going to check me again. They must have heard us cause around 3:00pm another nurse came in and said my nurse was delivering someone so she was going to check me. I assumed I was at a 6 so we were all completely shocked when she said I was a 9.5cm!! Things got real after that. I started crying because I was so scared yet so excited to meet our baby. The nurse said it could still be awhile because they want you to be a complete 10 before you start pushing and then it could be 2-3 hours of pushing before the baby comes. Not 15 min later, my doctor and nurse walked in and said “let’s start pushing!!” I was freaking out because I didn’t think I was a full 10 yet and I had no pressure or desire to push.

At 3:30pm, the pushing began. I still wasn’t feeling any pressure and I couldn’t even feel my contractions at this point. The nurse was having to tell me by the monitor and my stomach getting hard that I was having a contraction and needed to push. My sisters and mom stayed in the room with Derek and it was so nice to have more people encouraging me to push and cheering me on. After about 6 sets of pushing, Collins arrived at 3:57pm. It was by far the easiest and most amazing thing I have ever been through. She was placed on my belly and stole both Derek and I’s hearts right then. I know it’s cliché but it’s crazy how quickly you can fall in love with someone you have just met. She weighed in at 7lbs 2oz and was 19in long. Perfect in every way.


  1. So you're saying i won't die?!?! Good to know :)

    She's absolutely adorable Sarah!!! I'm soooo so happy for you guys!!

  2. I was ssooo scared about the whole labor thing and I can promise you, you won't die :) Just don't be afraid to get the epidural cause that shit is where it's at! Smooth sailing after I got that and it didn't slow down my progress like I was scared it would either. You will rock it, I know you will.